Dunlop Sport MAXX TT
The 12-million dollar BMW Performance Center located in the backyard of BMW's factory in Greer, SC, normally used for the BMW Driving School and BMW Testing, was graciously opened up to Dunlop for a tire testing event. Dunlop set up tire evaluations for numerous Dunlops, including the Sport MAXX TT set up on a 2008 BMW 328i sedan. Dunlop succeeded in demonstrating how a performance-oriented tire was still able to handle itself in wet conditions -too bad they didn't have a demonstration to see if the Kevlar sidewalls were bullet-proof. Though I wish I had more time to spend with the tire, I did walk away from the event with the feeling that the tire had a lot of potential.
• Sidewalls are reinforced with DuPont Kevlar to enhance driver feedback
• Jointless band technology helps the tire carcass maintain shape at high speed
• Flat tread profile creates a larger contact patch for increased cornering capability
• Sizes: 16- 22-inch Treadwear: 240 Traction: AA Temperance: A
Though I have never technically owned a set of General Exclaim UHP tires, I have had two opportunities to run them around the track at General's Testing facility in Uvalde, TX. On the downside the car I drove both times was a Mustang (bleh) but I was blown away by how the Generals were able to keep that unwieldy beast on the super-soaked and super-slick road conditions. I could only imagine that if the Exclaims could keep that thing on the road, then they would be able to really perform on a vehicle with great handling and suspension. So I recommended them to a friend who installed them on his 2006 A3 2.0T. He was equally impressed with the tire's handling characteristics and even more surprised at the reasonable price.
• High void-to-solid rubber ratio combined with the double V directional tread pattern helps expel water away from the tread, reducing the risk of hydroplaning
• Silica tread compound increase in traction when compared to standard carbon-black technology
• Wide, solid shoulder lugs and high-tech tread contour help evenly distribute the forces exerted on the tire to help optimize handling
• Sizes: 15- 24-inch Treadwear 380 Traction A Temperance A
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric tires are the most recent tire addition to my 2006 A3 and with the first few months of their life they have already been put through the paces with two extended road trips, in addition to the normal daily grind of the 405 freeway. What's great about these tires is that they are forgettable-I don't need to think or worry about whether or not the tires can handle a particular driving situation. No matter if it's raining or I'm just pulling some crazy maneuver to avoid every pit and pothole (or bad driver) on the road, they handle it, all the while giving me a quiet and supportive ride.
• New generation of polymers to enhance tread stiffness
Tread compound combines carbon black for dry traction, silica for wet traction
• Wide solid outboard shoulder blocks to enhance cornering, a continuous center rib for high speed stability
• Wide circumferential grooves with an open inboard tread pattern to disperse water
• To reduce noise frequency peaks the tread blocks are staggered and vary in size
• Sizes: 17- 20-inch Treadwear 240 Traction AA Temperance A