Awe Tuning Cold Cone Box
Most people assume that building a performance intake is as simple as putting a cone filter on the end of a pipe. Removing the stock airbox and changing the air filter works well on some vehicles, but this method can cause major problems on others. Take the 2010 Volkswagen GTI 2.0 TFSI for example. It would be easy to just remove the airbox and slap a cone filter on the end of the MAF sensor, install a small filter for the air pump, and add a few zip-ties for support. While this shadetree solution could work in netting a few extra horses and a more vicious growl from under the hood, it's the long-term cost that isn't readily apparent.
This is how the scenario would likely play out: As the plastic zip-ties are subjected to radiant heat, over time they would become brittle. Add in engine movement and road vibration, and the ties will eventually break. The MAF housing, onto which the cone filter is clamped, will start to bounce around to the point that the filter falls off since there's nothing else to hold it on. And now that the filter has fallen off, other scenarios becomes likely: Debris enters the MAF, causing it to fail; or the filter falls in the shifter linkage, preventing you from shifting, and so on. We'll leave what happens next to your imagination.
Quality intake systems can be expensive because there's a lot of R&D that goes into them-design, tooling and materials costs, dyno time, prototyping, and extensive road testing. Building a quality intake is not as easy as spending $50 bucks at the auto parts store. Done right, an intake system will not only maximize power and torque, but give you peace of mind knowing the only thing you have to worry about is cleaning the filter.
AWE Tuning's CCB intake system is for late-model Audi and Volkswagens with the transversely mounted 2.0 TFSI engine. A quick glance tells you this is no backyard build.
Looking closely reveals features designed to optimize the performance and ensure reliability.
• Enclosed 100% carbon fiber enclosure encasing air filter to keep radiant heat out while allowing cool air in
• Full 2.75-inch piping for maximum flow
• Large high-flow cotton air filter is washable to allow the user to keep air flow at its peak Reliability
• Two-piece design with flex bellow that allows the engine side to flex without stressing the intake side
• Stainless steel welds and piping
• CNC-machined MAF flange with recess for sealing gasket
• Carbon fiber enclosure features rubber grommets to absorb vibration and drain holes in case of accidental water ingestion
• Support brackets ensure that all of the components stay put
Fits: A3 2.0T (non-xenon, 2006 and later); TT (requires purchase of VW GTI battery tray), MkV and MkVI Jetta/Golf,
Price: $379.95 (silver piping);
$399.95 (black piping)