And I had given Vitesse the wrong injector information. I said they were 50 lb/hour, which was about right, but they were high impedance and the DME is set to drive low impedance injectors. How the car ever ran for this long is a mystery.
It was obviously time to order a new set of injectors and Marren Fuel Injection was the place to go. These guys sell practically anything fuel-related and they're highly knowledgeable. Because we felt confident we'd get the car to idle well and wanted to leave room for an improvement in power, we ordered 72 lb/hour (750cc/min) low impedance injectors, which, thankfully, Vitesse had built an option for in its MAF software. All I had to do was toggle the switches on the chip/board to the right combo.
The fine-tuning part of the fuel curve was fairly easy, although Joseph gave me a thorough walk-through. The one thing I really noticed was the smoothness at part-throttle that I had a hard time getting with the previous system. This gives us a good starting point with this newly broken-in engine.
Unfortunately, we have a turbocharger that needs rebuilding, so back to Turbonetics. I suspect insufficient lubrication is the culprit and plan to address this next. On the street, Project 951 has been making 17 psi off the Tial 44mm wastegate, thanks to the 1-bar larger Tial wastegate spring with a 0.2-bar inner spring that I added. But just like on the last Dynojet 224x loading dyno, House of Power's 224x only allowed 14 psi. And that's where it'll stay until I get a boost controller. Even with the ill turbo, 280 wheel-hp is possible at this modest boost level.
The current owner of Project 951 (reluctantly, I sold it last year) hopes to get some more mid-range performance. Maybe it doesn't help that he has his 997 S to compare it to. Turbonetics will be sending our unit back, doing away with the 0.68 P-trim housing and going with a 0.58 aspect ratio housing with Turbonetics' new P-trim replacement inside, the F-165 turbine wheel.
In the meantime, we'll also put on a boost controller, splash some racing fuel, reset the Vitesse software to the 100-octane program and hope for a few good rips on the dyno.