The rear dampers should have been easier to change, as they have only two sets of threads: one at the top and one at the bottom. The lower bolt comes out as easily as it looks like it should, though one side of our car still had a protective plastic cover to prevent accessing the head of the bolt with a socket. It pried off easily with a screwdriver. Since there was only one, and its primary function seemed to be charity to spiders, we didn't put it back on. I found that removing the lower shock bolt from both sides allowed the beam to droop just far enough to be out of the way, and that the floor jack I had in position to support the beam was not necessary.