After months of spy photos popping up everywhere, and hearsay on the specs, Mercedes-AMG has finally unveiled the most badass version of the SLS to date; The SLS AMG Black Series. Some might not like the color, but personally, for a car that is loud in every sense of the word, this works.
We'll start with the important stuff. This car was inspired by the SLS AMG GT3 racecar, meaning it's definitely more on the wild side than anything you've driven in the MB lineup. Now tipping the scales at 3,417 (still pretty hefty, though 150 lb less than SLS), the Black Series has a power to weight ratio of 5.49 lb/hp. You could do the math to figure out how much power that is, exactly, but we'll spare you. The 6.3-liter V8 pumps out 622hp (a gain of 39 compared to the standard SLS) at 7,400 rpm and will hustle this orange peel to 60 in 3.5 seconds, though with some slicks it'd most definitely be faster. Traction is no doubt one thing the SLS, in any version, doesn't have on its achievement list.
Now running on coil-over AMG Adaptive Performance Suspension, AMG high-performance ceramic two-piece brake system and lightweight forged AMG wheels, the Black Series is ready for the track. Additionally, it sports AMG's electronically-controlled rear-axle differential lock.
Among the brute performance upgrades, the new AMG Aero package delivers even more in terms of handling and dynamics, and of course the looks.
So, when can you have it? Summer 2013.
- On-Sale: Summer 2013
- 2014 SLS AMG Black Series: 622hp, 468 lb-ft (SLS AMG GT: 583hp, 479 lb-ft)
- Top Speed: 196 mph
- 0-60 mph: 3.5 seconds
New Standard Feature Highlights:
- Modified engine components for more power, increased rev limit of 8,000 rpm
- Track increased 0.8" (front) / 0.9" (rear)
- AMG 10-spoke forged alloy wheels in matte black, 10 x 19 (front)/12 x 20 (rear)
- CFRP hood, torque tube, diagonal underbody braces
- Revised AMG speed-sensitive power steering
- AMG Adaptive Performance Suspension
- AMG high-performance two-piece ceramic brakes
- Matte black forged wheels
- Electronically-controlled AMG rear axle differential lock
- Modified AMG SPEEDSHIFT DCT 7-speed sports transmission
- New engine brace with gas-filled strut
- Titanium exhaust system
New Optional Equipment Highlights:
- AMG carbon-fiber exterior mirror
- AMG carbon-fiber engine cover
- AMG Interior Carbon Fiber Package
- AMG Aerodynamics Package
- AMG forged matte black wheels with polished rims
- Bang & Olufsen BeoSound AMG high-end surround sound system
- COMAND multimedia system delete