- Powered by a 2.0 litre 163 bhp HDi diesel engine and a 37bhp electric motor
- Potential 74.4mpg, with 99g/km of CO2
- All electric mode (Zero Emission Vehicle)
- A maximum combined power output of 200 bhp
The Peugeot 3008 Crossover, with HYbrid4 technology, is the first diesel ‘Full Hybrid’ production car in the world
By launching the world’s first diesel full hybrid vehicle - the 3008 HYbrid 4 - Peugeot will be writing a new chapter in motoring history. The combination of a fuel efficient 2.0 litre 163 bhp HDi diesel engine and a 37 bhp electric motor is the optimal combination for a hybrid vehicle. Unlike previous hybrid vehicles which have chosen to use a less fuel efficient petrol engine, the Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4’s diesel engine provides superior Combined Drive Cycle fuel consumption of 74.4mpg, and CO2 emissions of 99g/km.
The use of diesel hybrid technology also brings a range of other benefits:
- High performance combined with excellent driveability
- Freedom and simplicity of use with the possibility of choosing four different operating modes: ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicle), Four-wheel drive, Auto and Sport
- Silent operation, when driving in electric only mode
- Peace of mind offered by the safety inherent in a four-wheel drive vehicle
- Environmental friendliness with CO2 emissions from 99g/km
The Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4 is designed to appeal to demanding, technophile customers who are in search of a rewarding and original vehicle.
In terms of performance, the Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4 benefits from the combined power of the HDi diesel engine and electric motor during acceleration and when an immediate surge of power is required (the "boost" function). The maximum combined power output is 200 bhp, 163 bhp from the 2.0 litre HDi FAP diesel engine and 37 bhp from the electric motor. A maximum torque of 500 Nm is available, split with 300Nm at the front from the HDi diesel engine and 200 Nm at the rear generated by the electric motor.
To manage all the available performance a control selector mounted on the centre console enables the driver to choose between four different operating modes.
- “Auto” mode: the entire system is automatically controlled, including operation of the HDi diesel engine and the electric motor. This provides optimal driving for fuel consumption and dynamic performance
- “ZEV” mode (Zero Emission Vehicle) provides access to an extensive all-electric mode. Activation of the HDi diesel engine is programmed to coincide with only more sustained phases of acceleration. This requires the high-voltage batteries to be sufficiently charged and turns the vehicle into a “city run-around” par excellence due to the total absence of noise and emissions.
- Four-wheel drive mode (4WD) instructs both power trains to operate together as far as possible; the rear wheels are driven by the electric motor and the front wheels by the HDi diesel engine. It offers peace of mind, safety, improved driveability and accentuates the vehicle’s dynamic character. At low speed it allows "all-terrain" capabilities equivalent to those of an SUV. The driver will, therefore, no longer be concerned by the prospect of a slippery track or a snowbound uphill drive to a ski resort.
- "Sport" mode favours quicker gear changes at higher engine speeds than normal mode. In this mode, the notion of “controlled power” comes into its own, coupling the diesel engine with the electric motor provides more dynamic performance, optimally distributed and transmitted to the road by the four wheel drive for a level of stability and driveability that will appeal to motoring enthusiasts.
With the Peugeot 3008 equipped with HYbrid4 technology, the aim is to appeal to customers who expect both environmental-friendliness and technological sophistication, and also genuine driving enjoyment.
Indeed, as well as the social benefit of the steep reduction in fuel consumption, the level of performance provided by this technology will delight even the most demanding customers in terms of road holding, responsiveness, driveability, peace of mind regardless of road conditions and the possibility of enjoying silent operation in town in the all-electric mode.
HYbrid4 technology brings together Peugeot’s best technologies and experience: HDi diesel engines, electric vehicle knowledge, second-generation Stop & Start and electronically-controlled sequential manual gearboxes.
The “hybrid” power train simply combines an HDi diesel engine and an electric motor. With their exceptional efficiency, HDi diesel engines are thermodynamically more efficient than a petrol engine and offer a 30% reduction in fuel consumption. Clearly the HDi diesel engine is the best internal combustion engine choice.
For the “electric” component, Peugeot has historical expertise in the field of electric vehicles. To date, the 106 Electric, marketed between 1995 and 2003, remains the world’s best selling zero emissions car (in total nearly 10,000 vehicles were produced). At the end of 2010, Peugeot will become the first to launch a latest-generation 100% electric vehicle in Europe, the Peugeot i0n.
Pursuing the common sense approach of capitalising on the best existing components and expertise, it was only natural to use Peugeot’s electronically-controlled 6-speed manual gearbox, not only for its engine management capabilities but also for its ability to optimise fuel consumption. To improve performance even further a second-generation STOP & START system is also used.