For the first time in American's will have to fend off the McLaren 12C GT3 in the 2013 Pirelli World Challenge racing series. Following a strong rookie season throughout Europe, the 12C GT3 proved to be a worth adversary amongst swarms of Ferraris, Porsches and Astons; claiming 19 victories and 19 podium finishes.
These upgrades are designed to further optimize the performance of the car in the more varied conditions found in global championships. The enhancements are evident through the updated bonnet and ducting, designed to ensure that the 12C GT3 can run competitively in higher temperatures than those experienced during 2012.
The Pirelli World Challenge, now in its 24th consecutive season, is one of North America's leading production car-based racing championships, and is a support series for the IZOD IndyCar calendar. Each race is a 50-minute sprint, and sees the grid visit some of the leading purpose-built tracks and street circuits across the USA and Canada. The series is sanctioned by SCCA Pro Racing and races at various North American premier road and temporary street courses.
2013 McLaren 12C GT3 technical specification
- McLaren carbon fiber MonoCell with aluminum front and rear sub-frames - Bespoke lightweight carbon fiber body panels - Left hand drive - FIA approved safety roll cage
- Front splitter - Rear wing, fully adjustable with gurney - Front and rear diffusers
- Race prepared 3.8L V8 twin turbo McLaren M838T - McLaren Electronics ECU interfacing with Bosch ABS and Shiftec transmission control units
- Six-speed sequential motorsport transmission pneumatically actuated via steering wheel mounted paddles
- Lightweight motorsport specification wiring and connectors - Electronic power management system - Membrane type switch panel
- McLaren Electronics 'ATLAS' data system - Digital dash display
- Double wishbone adjustable for ride height, camber and toe - Four-way adjustable dampers with coil over springs - Motorsport axles with single wheel retaining nut - Adjustable anti-roll bars - Forged aluminum wheels: Front 12" x 18", Rear 13" x 18"
- Electro-hydraulic power assisted steering - Unique McLaren GT steering wheel developed from MP4-24 Formula 1 steering wheel
- Motorsport 'bag tank' system with 120L capacity - Motorsport 'quick-fill' system
- Mobil 1 engine and transmission lubrication
- Akebono monoblock calipers with ventilated discs: Front - 6 piston caliper, 3780 x 36mm disc Rear - 4 piston caliper, 3550 x 32mm disc - Bosch motorsport ABS